Tag Archives: Famous Barr

Opening Exhibit Reception: Famous Barr and Christmas in St. Louis

Join the Camp­bell House Muse­um in the month of Decem­ber for a spe­cial mini exhib­it hon­or­ing the mem­o­ry of Samuel B. Clark (1927–2014), who for years designed the win­dow dis­plays for Christ­mas at the Famous Barr depart­ment stores. He was known to have said, “you can’t over­do Christ­mas” and in his retire­ment he designed the Christ­mas dec­o­ra­tions for the Camp­bell House Museum.

The exhib­it will open on Thurs­day, Novem­ber 30 at 5 p.m. and will fea­ture exhibits not only Famous Barr mem­o­ra­bil­ia, but also Christ­mas relat­ed items that could be viewed at the stores. The exhib­it will be up until Mid-January.

Some light refresh­ments will be served along with Vir­ginia Camp­bel­l’s Roman Punch. Tick­ets to attend are $40 per per­son. Camp­bell House Mem­bers call 314–421-0325

To make a reser­va­tion click here: Famous Barr Christ­mas Event

Lecture: Famous Bar St. Louis Shopping at its Finest

Join the Camp­bell House Muse­um on Sun­day, Decem­ber 10 to hear a lec­ture about the old Famous Barr Depart­ment store. Edna Graven­horst will be lec­tur­ing about the his­to­ry of the depart­ment store as well as pro­mot­ing her book on the subject.

May Com­pa­ny pur­chased the Famous Cloth­ing Com­pa­ny in 1892 and acquired the William Barr Dry Goods Com­pa­ny nine­teen years lat­er. In 1914, Famous-Barr opened the doors of its icon­ic down­town loca­tion, treat­ing folks across Mis­souri and Illi­nois to almost a cen­tu­ry of spec­tac­u­lar win­dow dis­plays and note­wor­thy luncheons.

The event is free and open to the pub­lic. There is lim­it­ed free park­ing in the lot adja­cent to the house and street park­ing is free on Sundays.


Click here to reg­is­ter: Lec­ture: Famous Bar St. Louis Shop­ping at its Finest Tick­ets, Sun, Dec 10, 2023 at 1:00 PM