It’s time to start planning a special Valentine’s Day fete with your sweetiekins! Forget the same ol’ crowded bars and restaurants, and let Campbell House take care of your night. At 6:00 PM on Tuesday, February 14, 2012, bring your special someone over to the house for a high tea hosted by our pals from the London Tea Room.
This is what’s cookin:
- Upon arrival, toast this day of romance and love with a glass of Virginia Campbell’s Roman (read: Champagne) Punch.* While waiting for the culinary bacchanalia, you can explore our house, one of the country’s finest examples of high Victorian interior decor.
- After you get comfortable seated at a table in the Parlor, Morning Room, Dining Room or Kitchen, you will enjoy the following delicacies:
- An assortment of finger sandwiches, including smoked salmon on wheat; ham on rye with grain mustard mayo; and cucumber on cream cheese with dill and chives.
- Traditional English black currant scone, served with Devonshire cream and jam.
- Selection of beautiful petit fours.
- A personal pot of tea, regular or decaf.
- We’re going to dig through our archive to find some exceptional lovey-dovey-themed Campbell pieces (yep, we have a lot of these…Robert and Virginia were crazy about each other) to display for this evening only.
- When you leave, you’ll receive a goodie bag with tea discount cards, passes for free admission to Campbell House, information on Victorian Valentine’s Day traditions, and a copy of one of Robert and Virginia’s love letters, along with some other choice loot.
Tickets are $45.00 each, and London Tea Room will be donating $12.50 of each ticket to Campbell House. Ready to make your reservation? Give us a ring at 314/421‑0325 with your Visa, Mastercard or Discover to hold your seats. We only have 36 seats available, so call us early — we think this is going to be a big hit.
*Roman Punch is a traditional palate-cleansing drink that was often served between savory courses. If you want to make a batch at home, here’s a modernized version of Virginia’s recipe:
Virginia Campbell’s Roman Punch
1 12-oz can frozen lemonade
1 12-oz can of water
4 T frozen orange concentrate
Zest of one orange
2/3 bottle of champagne
In a blender, blitz lemonade, water, orange concentrate, and zest. Pour mixture into a container suitable for freezing and add champagne. Mix well and freeze. When ready to serve, thaw to make a slush and serve. Enjoy!